Saturday, January 31, 2015

Let Go

The first stanza of this poem began drifting around in my head during a particularly difficult week last summer. This past week, a conversation with a friend reminded me of it and prompted me to come back and finish it. (I may have also perhaps been putting off schoolwork that should have taken precedence. What can I say? The work got done in time, and poetry is good for the soul.) I'm glad I did.

Let Go

Some wounds we wish would never heal;
Some cuts we never care to close;
Some hurts we never want erased;
            Of these He says, "Let go."

The past might sear; it still does seal
That these dead thorns from rose once rose.
The pain proclaims the loss we've faced -
            And yet He says, "Let go."

"This is not just!" we scream. "To steal
Our joys of life, turn them to woes!
At least let us in wailing waste."
            He whispers still, "Let go."

"Let go the past, the hurt you feel,
Regrets your heart does yet enclose.
Through pain, I'll hold you safe, embraced.
            Please trust me now... Let go."

"Come laugh and joke, then dance a reel;
Feel water's rush; life ebbs and flows.
The hardest task? Become unbraced.
            Find joy right here. Let go."

"In dark, my light reigns sov'reign still;
From darkest darkness, Christ arose.
Redemption's seeds His blood encased - 
            Of this, do not let go."

1 comment:

  1. I am so grateful for the opportunity to savor and ponder so much depth!
    Thank you!
    -Mamá

    ReplyDelete